Your rights and privacy as our patients if of the utmost concern to us. To maintain transparency, we've outlined patient rights and responsibilities, including expectations for patient conduct when visiting our clinics, and our privacy practices.
If you need accessibility assistance, please visit accessibility.iu.edu.
Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Revision Date: March 10, 2020
Purpose: IUPUI Campus Health (IUPUI CH) recognizes that the patient, our client, has the right to quality medical care, personal respect, consideration, and dignity. As such, we will post in a visible place the "Patient's Rights and Responsibilities," as our pledge to uphold these rights.
- To be provided with courteous, considerate care, as well as being treated with respect and dignity.
- Patients can request interpretation services as needed.
- To have privacy and confidentiality with regard to treatment and medical records.
- Patient disclosures and records are treated confidentially, and except when required by law, patients will be given the opportunity to approve or refuse their release.
- To be informed of the diagnosis, evaluation, treatment and prognosis, and to know of possible risks, side effects or alternate methods of treatment. When medically inadvisable to give such information to a patient, the information will be provided to a person designated by the patient or to legally authorized person.
- Patients have the right to participate in the decisions involving their health care, except when such participation is contraindicated for medical reasons.
- Patients have the right to refuse treatment, or to ask for a second opinion, or an alternative course of treatment, and to be informed of the medical consequences of this action. Patients also will be informed of involvement in research projects through information sheets or informed consent forms. These forms include the option not to participate.
- Patients may change their primary provider or clinician, if other qualified provider or clinician is available.
- Patients may voice grievances regarding treatment and care. Refer to the Visitor/Patient Comment/Compliant Policy 3.3.1.
- Patients are provided methods for providing feedback, including complaints. Refer to the Visitor/Patient Comment/Compliant Policy 3.3.1.
- Patient will be provided information about Advance Directives, as required by prevailing laws and regulations.
Patient Responsibilities and Conduct
- To cooperate responsibly with all persons involved in the health care process.
- Behave respectfully toward all health care professionals and staff, as well as other patients and visitors.
- To present details of illness or complaint in a direct and straightforward manner.
- To present accurate identifying information.
- Provide a list of all medications taken, including over-the-counter products and dietary supplements, and any allergies or sensitivities.
- To keep scheduled appointments and arrive on time, or notify Campus Health 24 hours in advance of any changes or cancellations
- To comply with the treatment plan provided by the health professional
- To ask for clarification whenever information or instructions are not understood
- To seek care in a timely manner when ill or injured
- Accept personal financial responsibility for any charges not covered by insurance.
S. Renshaw, MD
IUPUI Campus Health
IUPUI Campus Health